Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Fox and the Crow

"The Fox and the Crow" is a traditional version of the fable by Aesop. Although very little is actually known about the true origins of Aesop's fables, he has been credited with over 600 of these instructional tales. Subjects of his morals include gratitude, the deceptiveness of appearances, and the necessity of thrift.

A Fox once saw a Crow fly off with a piece of cheese in its beak and settle on a branch of a tree. "That's for me, as I am a Fox," said Master Reynard (the fox), and he walked up to the foot of the tree.

"Good day, Mistress Crow," he cried. "How well you are looking today: how glossy your feathers; how bright your eye. I feel sure your voice must surpass that of other birds, just as your figure does; let me hear but one song from you that I may greet you as the Queen of the Birds."

The Crow lifted up her head and began to caw her best, but the moment she opened her mouth the piece of cheese fell to the ground, only to be snapped up by Master Fox. "That will do," said he. "That was all I wanted. In exchange for your cheese I will give you a piece of advice for the future ---

MORAL: DO NOT TRUST FLATTERERS."


Do you agree with the moral of the fable? Why or why not?
EXPLAIN in 8 or more sentences.

3 comments:

  1. In my opinion, I somewhat agree with the moral and somewhat don't. Sometimes, flatterers can be to overbearing and make you feel like that they are just doing it because they want something, when they are just trying to be nice. However, in some cases, the person could actually be flattering you just for attention or because they want something from you. In the story, the fox says to the crow, "How well you are looking today: how glossy your feathers; how bright your eye. I feel sure your voice must surpass that of other birds, just as your figure does; let me hear but one song from you that I may greet you as the Queen of the Birds." The fox is trying to give the crow compliments so she would give him her piece of cheese. I happen to know some people like this, who just say some nice things to get something out of me. But you never know if they're playing you, or just being kind. So I always make sure that I know what I'm doing before I confront the person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the moral somewhat, but I also disagree a little. For example, some flatterers give you compliments just to get something. Wether, it's your homework answers or in this case a piece of cheese. They say stuff like, your really funny or any other compliment. But, some flatterers are saying compliments from there heart that are true. In these cases you have to use your sense and see if there being suspicious, if so then they want something. If not they are sincere. This moral kind of goes both ways for me, it's all about the person!


    Delete Reply Reply All Forward Move Spam Actions Next Previous

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you should always trust flatterers. If they do it all the time it can usually mean they want something out of you. They might be greedy and selfish. This happened in the Fox and the Crow. If they just comment on your things once in a while that probably doesn't mean they want something. They're being nice and " normal ". It's not bad to be commented on if it's not repetitive. Don't always assume that flatterers are just being nice.

    ReplyDelete

Please only use your first name and first initial of your last when posting as to protect your privacy! Thank you!